If you don’t see me around this weekend, then your plans don’t include going to the fair. As promised by many (well… maybe just me), this weekend will be of epic proportions. The San Diego County Fair secured an incredible line up of events starting today…
Friday, June 25
- Michael Jackson Day: Today is the one year anniversary of Michael Jackson’s death and the fair is by no means ignoring that fact. They have a whole day of entertainment planned including a “flash mob” of 200+ people (zombies and Michael lookalikes) doing the dance from Thriller on the Avenue, “Moonwalking with the Best” on the infield where expert moonwalkers will teach kids (and you if you pay attention) how to do MJ’s signature move, and Who’s Bad, A Michael Jackson tribute band at 9pm on the Paddock stage.
- PennySaver Value Day: Free coupons for the fair give to each person who comes to the fair including food, beverages and products.
Saturday, June 26
- 6th Annual Gospel Festival: The spirit may move you through the voices of God… these voices will surround you as the festival incorporates nearly all of the fair’s stages into an uplifting musical event.
- Grease Sing-a-long: Yes. I actually know people who are excited about this. The 1978 musical with Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta will be played on the Paddock Green at 9pm. I’m sure if you live in downtown listen closely you will be able to hear “Summer Lovin'” from your loft apartment.
Sunday, June 27
- Dia de la Familia: Includes “fabulous, lively, Latin-themed entertainment and activities.” I’m not entirely sure what that means.
All Weekend Long
- World Cup Soccer playoff games: You don’t have to miss out on this exciting games just because you are at the fair, the fair will set up viewing locations throughout so you can shout GOOOOOOALLLL!!! with the rest of the world.
- Battle of the Bank III: Of course you can come visit me as I live-textcast this momentous roller derby event in the Del Mar arena. Check the schedule so you don’t miss out on your favorite teams playing.
- San Diego International Beer Festival: Beer! Good beer! This is not a free event with fair admission but a great deal if you love beer. And it is in the same location as the roller derby tournament. Hmmm, coincidence… Not at all.
Well, I better get going if I don’t want to be late… traffic is mad. Make sure you use the free parking lots and shuttle. It will be much quicker and cheaper than dealing with the paid lots. It took me an hour and a half from the beginning of the line on the freeway, to the gate the first time I went this season (and paid to park). Don’t make my mistake.