Artist: Old Tiger
Songs: The following are available to stream on the band’s website.
- “Free”: The intro starts out vaguely sounding like the Kids in the Hall theme, but not as much as The Smart Brothers’ song, “Don’t Call Me Baby”. Strong vocals over take the track and you forget you even thought that in the first place. The catchy lyrics remind me of driving down the desert highway looking for adventure.
- “I Got It Figured Out”: Slight reverb in the swinging guitar melodies gives the song a lonely feeling. But suddenly a party breaks out in the end. Odd composition, but it kind of works.
- “It’s a Crime” Demo: Bluesy guitar echoing down a dark alley tells the tale of what I thought was a man down on his luck, but seems that is only half the story.
- “Tambourine” Demo: Head bobbing along to the steady rhythm of the beat. The subtle tambourine jangle I actually missed the first several times around.There is something about this song that reminds me of early Beatles. Am I the only one hears it?
Overall: With lead vocals reminding me of local musician, Jeff Berkley from Citizen Band and Berkley Hart, I was instantly hooked. It took me several listens to get beyond that thought, but once I did, I heard their distinct style echoing a bit of blues and soul. I can’t imagine their performances to be lively, but the music is true to their purpose “to channel their collective love and penchant for all things Stax Records and the Golden Era of Motown into their own material.”
Albums: The Definitive Collection EP (2010) with 4 songs and their 10-song live album (2011) are available on bandcamp. Both “Free” and “I Got It Figured Out” are on the EP. while “Tambourine,” “Free” and “I Got It Figured Out” are all on the live album. Oh, yeah… and you can download the live album for FREE.
Calendar: Their calendar is a little behind showing mostly the past month’s shows. March seemed like a good month. Right now there is only the following gig:
- Friday, April 8 @ Bar Eleven with Owl Eyes and The Red Fox Tails
Photo courtesy of Andrew Helwich